Tell them you saw it on RI Elder Info!
- This event has passed.
Integration For All: The Criminalization of Mental Illness Mental Health Assoc of RI
October 28 @ 5:00 pm - 6:30 pm
Join Us Live for a Virtual Town Hall
In Rhode Island, 15% to 20% of inmates have serious mental illnesses like schizophrenia, schizo-affective disorder, major depressive disorder, bipolar disorder, brief psychotic disorder and substance use disorder. Mental illness itself is not predictive of criminal behavior. In fact, it increases the likelihood of being victimized. Many of the 400 to 530 inmates with mental illness at the ACI lack permanent housing and support options and were left to live on the streets. Untreated, symptoms of mental illness led them into the criminal justice system. Most are incarcerated for minor offenses or probation violations like missing an appointment. The ACI is now Rhode Island’s largest
“psychiatric institution,” and we all pay the price. Join this Town Hall to discuss how an Olmstead Plan would plan for and provide supportive housing and community services to break this cycle and improve the lives of these vulnerable Rhode Islanders.
- Dr. Christine Montross, Local Psychiatrist and author of the book, “Waiting for an Echo: The Madness of American Incarceration”
- Megan Clingham, Office of the Mental Health Advocate
- Sarah Martino, Lifespan’s Center for Prisoner Health and Human Rights
- Nick Horton, Open Doors RI
- Brenda McClain, Open Doors RI