Home Owners

Resources for Home Owners

Ask your family or friends to refer you to a licensed contractor. Verify the contractor license is up to date with the State of Rhode Island Contractors’ Registration and Licensing Board. Check with the Rhode Island Better Business Bureau for any complaints against the contractor. Put down in writing what services the contractor will provide and the cost –BEFORE you hand over any money. Keep ALL of your receipts for any home modifications that help you remain at home.

Veterans’, Elderly, and Other Tax Exemption Programs in Rhode Island Municipalities 

Note: 2017 is the most recent pdf


RI Livable Home Modification Grant

The Grant will reimburse 50% of the cost of modifying homes and apartments, up to a total of 4,000. The grant is administered by the RI Governor’s Commission on Disabilities to provide funding to assist homeowners and renters in retrofitting (adapting) homes or apartments to nationally recognized accessibility standards.


Ocean State Center for Independent Living (OSCIL)

1944 Warwick Ave, Warwick, RI

175 Main St Pawtucket, RI

401-244-7792 by video phone

OSCIL can provide in home assessments and provide recommendations for home modifications to help individuals overcome barriers to independence in the home.

Financial assistance may be available if the individual’s income is low and all other financing options have been exhausted.

Habitat for Humanity Critical Home Repair Program provides urgent and major home repairs to prevent homeowners from suffering injury and falls, accidents or having to move out of their homes and into assisted living.  Contact the Habitat for Humanity in your area.


Rhode Island Housing’s Home Improvement & Lead Abatement Programs can help qualified residents in obtaining grants or low- interest home repair and improvement loans.

401-457-1127 (Home Improvement)
401-450-1350 (Lead Abatement)


U.S.D.A. Rural Development

60 Quaker Lane, Suite 44
Warwick, RI 02886

Provides grants and loans for home repairs & improvements to qualified homeowners.

401-826-0842, ext.2


RI Housing Help Center

44 Washington Street
Providence, RI 02903

RI Housing Help Center helps Seniors with their mortgages, avoid foreclosure and assists with tax sale notices.



HEAP- Heating Assistance Program can provide heating assistance, help for heating system failures and home weatherization to eligible Rhode Islanders. Help is available to both homeowners and renters.



Reverse Mortgages

A reverse mortgage is a type of home loan that lets you convert a portion of the equity in your home into cash. Reverse mortgages are sometimes referred to as a Home Equity Conversion Mortgage (HECM).

Reverse mortgages require that you be:

  • a homeowner 62 years of age or older,
  • own your home outright, or have a low mortgage balance that can be paid off at closing with proceeds from the reverse loan,
  • have the financial resources to pay ongoing property charges including taxes and insurance,
  • you must live in the home

When the home is sold, or no longer used as a primary residence (ex: you move into an assisted living facility or nursing home), the cash, interest, and other HECM finance charges must be repaid.


More information about Reverse Mortgages can be found here-

  • Federal Consumer Trade Commission

Reverse Mortgages

  • S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)

Top Ten Things to Know if You’re Interested in a Reverse Mortgage

Back To Top Skip to content